Openjournals offers academic, peer-reviewed journals a platform for online and fully open access publication.
Journals hosted on openjournal.nl fulfill the following criteria:
- Articles are open access on publication, accessible free of charge to anybody.
- A clearly described peer-review process is applied.
- Authors of articles retain copyright.
- Articles are published under a creative commons license (CC BY 4.0).
- No APCs (Article Processing Charges) are passed on to authors.
- Registration at the Directory of Open Access Journals (https://doaj.org) or working towards registration.
Openjournals provides the following services:
- Configuration of dedicated website for journal.
- Training and advise to editorial teams, for using the platform.
- Migration of previously published articles.
- Registration of DOIs with CrossRef.
- Assistance for registration of journal with DOAJ and other indexing services.
- Upgrades, maintenance and new functionalities of platform.
The openjournals platform offers editorial teams:
- A workflow system to manage the full editorial process (manuscript submission), peer-review process, communication authors/reviewers/editors, dashboard, etc.).
- A publication system to post accepted articles.
Platform and costs
Openjournals runs OJS open source software, developed by PKP (https://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/), and is maintained and supported by the Digital Infrastructure team of the KNAW Humanities Cluster.
The openjournals platform is largely financed by NWO (Dutch Research Council) and several institutional sponsors. An annual contribution of € 2.500 (ex. VAT) is charged to journals.
The platform is initiated through a collaboration between the KNAW, NWO and Stichting OPUS.